Saturday, May 9, 2009

Luang Prabang, Laos: Stop 10

The small plane was low on the ground with the propellers higher than the windows. This Aerospatiale Alenia ATR 72 flew over fields and through clouds before lush green hills were below us. Landing at Luang Prabang is beautiful – hills and mountains dot the landscape and the airport itself is tiny, one runway and one building (much like Fernando de Noronha's diminutive airport). Don't expect to find a duty-free here!

Most nationalities are required to have a visa to enter Laos and, contrary to the guidebook, the price varies depending on where you're from. The lowest is US$30 for several European and some South American countries. Americans and British pay US$35. For some reason the Canadians are left with a hefty price tag of US$42: the most expensive of the lot! Not sure what Canada's done to the Laos people or government, but I'm happy I don't have my blue passport yet.

This city's name sounds like a bell, ringing in a magical way. Luang Prabang...it is beautiful, romantic and easy to explore. The Mekong flows to one side of it and a river to the other, the city nestled in between like a happy dog sleeping in its bed. The atmosphere is friendly too, and there are a lot of travelers but it doesn't have the backpacker drunken vibe that lots of other places I've been have. At the airport I met Tom, an American geologist who was in Bangkok on business and came to Laos for a few days. We met up for beer one night and talked about a whole bunch of things, then at 11pm the lights went out and everyone was told they had to leave. It happens that Luang Prabang has a curfew! Everyone has to be home by midnight...quite a surprise!

My second day I didn't feel too well – feverish and muscle aches so I didn't get to see many of the sights I'd wanted...but it was great to relax and I plan to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment