Monday, June 15, 2009

Hanoi Airport

Sitting at what seems like the saddest airport in the world for even just 2 hours while I wait for my plane to board is a rather dismal experience. I am not sure if it is due to the communist leanings of the nation's capital, but Hanoi's airport (once past security) leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe this is only because I want something. Since my deodorant stick fell to pieces on the floor this morning (hastily put back together) I have been on the hunt for a new one, and am not looking for a whitening one, which makes the search rather hard. However, I was certain that at least the airport would have a better selection. Oh how wrong I was!

Having got through the vast, slowest-moving airport check-in queue I have ever seen, aided by the continual, non-stop repetitive announcements in a recorded voice conglomerated into words and numbers telling you which flights at which counters are checking in, over and over and over and over again, I finally get through the laxest security ever and into the glories of the duty-free area. Although my eyes have already seen the state of things, my mind refuses to believe it and I obstinately – then dejectedly – walk around looking for something resembling a chemist or at least some signs of toiletry sales. To no avail. However, should I wish to buy chocolates, something from a bad selection of perfume, cigarettes and alcohol or tacky souvenirs of Vietnam, I am in the right place. I guess I'll just have to put up with crazy Japanese prices (or smelly armpits for just over a week)... In the meantime I sit in my hard, cold metal seat while a rather chubby Japanese/Asian child sitting in the seat behind me moves around like someone with ADHD on crack.

I am nervous about Japan – am I going to get by okay? I am also very excited and trying to prepare myself for what I think will be the biggest culture shock of my trip; not only because of the contrast with where I've been for the past 4 months or so, but because Japan is so very different a place from anywhere I've ever been. Well, in about 7 hours' time I will be there and jump right in!

No comments:

Post a Comment